This six-week course will examine Native American history from Pocahontas to the present. We will begin by studying native peoples before the arrival of Europeans and early contact. After looking at these first encounters, we will consider the developing position of Native Americans.
You should be aged 19+.
There are no formal entry requirements for this experience.
• The Pueblo Revolt and King Phillip's/Metacom’s war
• The Trail of Tears
• The Indian Wars of the 19th Century – including Wounded Knee and Goose Creek
• Geronimo and Apache resistance
• Allotment and the reservation system
• Indian Activism and the American Indian Movement
• Contemporary Native American issues including the rise of Casinos
There will be in-class discussion and an opportunity for questions.
No prior knowledge is required. Don’t worry - we will tell and show you all you need to know.
Please bring a pen and paper or a laptop.
We also run a course on Pirates of the Caribbean and Beyond: The History of Pirates.